Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sushi - Sumos 4 November

I intend this blog to be an occasional blog--I don't want to write on it every day, but I did have a dining experience on Friday.  I took my wife to Sumos for sushi.

They don't accept reservations, but we didn't need them even though the place was full.  It's a Japanese hibachi style restaurant sometimes called a chop-chop house.  The kind where they cook your meal as an entertainment.

We had sushi--that's the point.  I love raw fish and meat--the problem of world traveling.  And we love sushi.  I was disappointed.  The restaurant was crowded and it is loud.  My late cousin designed it, but they need to do something about the noise.  Simple Japanese half opening coverings and banners on the walls would help, but that's the engineer in me coming out.  The service was very good.

We started with a tempura appetizer.  It was nicely presented and well done--a little greasy, but tasty.  Our main complaint is that it didn't come with the usually tempura dipping sauce, but rather a ranch-like dressing and sweet and sour sauce.  We didn't ask for tempura dipping sauce--we should have.  I had a hot sake that wasn't very hot and my wife had a Sapporo light (Japanese beer) that wasn't very cold.

We both ordered a seaweed salad.  She didn't like the cucumbers in the salad and the dressing could have been a little stronger.  We also had miso soup.  The miso was too strong, but the soup was hot and presented properly.  We both also ordered a spicy tuna hand roll (a conically wrapped maki (roll)).  That was very good, but we could tell they used the older tuna--that's typical in many places. 

My wife ordered sushimi (raw fish).  She received tuna, salmon, and yellow tail.  I had sushi pairs and ordered unagi, salmon, firecracker yellow tail, and a special tuna.  Mine was okay.  The salmon was smoked when I ordered sake (raw salmon) and I had a small bone in the unagi (cooked freshwater eel).  My wife's sushimi was good, but the yellow tail appeared a little dull and her salmon didn't seem to be sushi grade.  I tasted it.  She also found a bone in the salmon--that's an indicator.  None of the fish smelled fishy--that's a good sign.  We don't touch any sushi that smells fishy.

So, all in all, the sushi wasn't that great, but like I said, the service was good.  We'll probably not try it again for a while.  In Wichita, the options for great sushi decreased significantly with the closing of Kwan Court which was one of the best sushi restaurants in the country.   

No comments:

Post a Comment